Saturday 26 July 2008

ATP Tour - Murray dumps out Djokovic

Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic 6-3 7-6 to reach the semi-finals of the Toronto Masters.

The eighth-seeded Scot stunned the defending champion in an hour and 44 minutes and will now face Rafael Nadal.

"This is the best I've played, he's always beaten me badly," said the satisfied Murray, now 1-4 against his rival from junior days.

"He really played good, he made me run, but I defended well. It was awesome to play in this atmosphere of a packed house.

"He's one of the best players, you can't make many errors against him and expect to win," added Murray, who saved a set point in the 10th game of the second set.

"If he had converted that, the momentum could have changed."

The Serbian third seed was from his best, committing more than 30 unforced errors in an effort which left him looking far from a threat for the summer hardcourt season.

Murray twice gave back breaks in the second set before finally squeezing into a tie-breaker, which he dominated to claim the victory on his third match point.

"It's a big win mentally for me, the last three times I played him I lost pretty badly," Murray said.

"Nadal is always going to be a big win. It gives you confidence, especially when you've lost to him three or four times beforehand.

"I want to try and keep this sort of form."

Nadal recovered after a marathon tie-break setback to seal a high-tension triumph over France's Richard Gasquet.

Spain's Wimbledon and French Open champion overcame 10th-seeded Gasquet 6-7 (12-14) 6-2 6-1 but required two hours and 14 minutes to claim his 59th victory of the season.

Nadal roared back after losing the 75-minute opening set, which Gasquet claimed on his sixth set point after saving two set points for Nadal.

"It was a very tough first set," Nadal said. "I had chances, I was up a a break twice.

"But Richard played well to beat me in the set. In the second I had to stay positive and concentrated."

No comments: