Tuesday 29 July 2008

Heavy Metal Music and Teen Suicide

In reference to the article concerning heavy metal and teen suicide: I, being a heavy metal fan, must admit that death is a recurring theme in some bands' lyrics. However, I also wanted to point out that nowadays, "thinking about suicide" has become popular because of the media. (Example: Kurt Cobain's suicide has been glorified and many teenagers followed such action) Why? We're suffering from what I would call "mindlesness"...I sadly see how many of my schoolmates, for example, will be quick to accept whatever MTV and the radio throw at them (ANYTHING).
These two mediums have played with political correctness and have turned it into a gimmick, therefore contributing to a general lack of objective and critical thought. Heavy metal is not the only part to blame...the media is too, and so are may irresponsible parents. I must sadly affirm that the United States is suffering from a breakdown in the institution of what is known as "the family", in which many parents would rather let the government take care of their children and dedicate themselves to other things. As I said before, heavy metal is not the only one to blame, but it is an easy scapegoat for those who insist on blaming youth's problems on someone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heavy metal is not to blame at all. I'm not a teen. I am 40. I have been listening to metal most of my life and have never thought of suicide because of what I heard. If someone, teen or not, is going to commit suicide is not determined by anything other than their own psychological make up. MTV, Music and the media aren't going to make a mentally healthy person commit suicide. You are right about America's breakdown of family.

I'm not criticizing you dude. I just wanted to point out that if you don't understand the problem, there is no way you can fix it.